450g diced beef
1 onion, peeled and sliced
half a swede, peeled and chopped
3 potatoes, peeled and chopped
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 beef stock cube
salt and pepper
150g self raising flour
70g beef suet
flour to roll dumplings
- Heat some oil in a large saucepan, cook the diced beef for two minutes until browned.
- add the onion and cook on a low heat until soft.
- add the stock cube, salt and pepper and stir until mixed.
- add boiling water until the pan is two thirds full, add the swede, potato and carrot and stir.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for at least half an hour.
- in a mixing bowl, add the flour, suet and a teaspoon of salt. Mix.
- Make a well in the mixture and add 3 tablespoons of water. Mix together with hands, adding a little water each time until a sticky dough is formed, trying not to squash the mixture together too much, as this will cause the dumplings to become hard.
- split the mixture into 8 equal pieces and roll in flour.
- Add dumplings to the stew, cover and leave to simmer for half an hour.
For best results, make the stew, simmer for two hours, turn off the hob and leave the stew overnight. The next day, reheat the stew and add the dumplings for half an hour before serving.